Your Self is your greatest investment! Investing in yourself is one of the best lifestyle choices you will ever make. The return on your investments is priceless, and you get to keep everything as profit. You are not only saying to the world that you are worthy, but you are worth it.
Investing in yourself includes learning a new trade, studying to perfect your talents and hobbies, or pursuing a degree. All self-investments are not financial investments. Some need ample time, thought, planning, loyalty, determination, action, and dedication. Only you can cultivate a life you love, and you get back what you put out. Energy transfers and reciprocates, remember?
Like any investment firm, you need to weigh your options. With that being said, let’s kick off these 10 tips to reaching greater levels of success personally and professionally, living confidently, and increasing overall quality of life.
1. Set Goals and Plan
Setting goals allows you to work out the kinks before you get started on your journey. You can see your vision and create the road map to accomplishing these goals. Consider your Bucket List. This list should include every dream and aspiration you want to make come true in this lifetime. When you plan, you’ll know the tools you’ll need, where you’re going, and how you’re getting there. You’ll also stay on track and arrive to your destination in a timely manner.
2. Check your Finances
Money isn’t everything but it sure does make life a bit easier. Staying on top of your income, debts and savings can save you a lot of stress. Be realistic with your finances and this will lead you into making the best decisions for your monetary self-investments.
3. Develop Your Skills
Figure out where you have opportunities for growth and focus on improving your skills. Increasing your knowledge can happen in several ways:
- Higher Education – This is a wonderful option depending on your trade of interest. You can take classes, pursue advanced degrees, or acquire the relevant certifications.
- Training – Enroll in workshops, and attend conferences or seminars to expand your knowledge, talents, and skills. If you’re outgoing, you will meet like-minded people with common interests. This will help you to build a rapport with other people in your area.
- Coaching – Finding an adequate coach may offer you just the type of guidance and motivation you need. He or she will aid you in implementing your plans so you can reach your highest potential.
- Independent Study – Stay informed of the latest information and advancements by reading (or listening to) books on the subject(s), subscribing to publications, and reading newspaper articles. You can check out experts’ blogs on topics related to the talent or skill you want to learn or enhance. You may also want to watch tutorials online and take notes.
4. Explore your Creative Potential
Everyone has some form of a creative interest. Some people recognize it, and some don’t. For those who don’t, make the effort to discover your unique creativity. Choose an activity that sparks your interest. Maybe it’s something you previously passed off as an impossibility, deemed ridiculous, or were simply afraid to try. You owe it to yourself to go for it! Nothing beats a failure but a try, right? For those who do, take your creativity and sharpen it. Revisit an activity you haven’t practiced in a while or dive into the hobby you have never fully explored.
Creativity helps us in everyday life. We are able to apply innovative thinking when it comes to multi-tasking, planning, and problem-solving. When we get creative, the possibilities are endless.
- Learn a New Language – Take a class or use language training software.
- Take a Cooking Class – Learn how to make your most favorite exotic dishes. If you’d rather learn at home, look up some recipes online or buy a cool cookbook.
- Grab a Pen and Paper – Write a short story or poem. You never know, it may turn into a novel or collection of poems.
- Explore the Great Outdoors – Try hiking, biking, kayaking, gardening, bird watching, kicking a soccer ball around, or nature photography.
- Turn up the Music – Take vocal lessons or learn to play an instrument. Release your inner rock star!
- Design something Tangible – design jewelry, paint canvas, or create conceptual art out of industrial supplies.
5. Take Care of Mind and Body
The body is like a highway system – everything is connected, so when the mind is crowded, overworked and overwhelmed, so is the body, and vice versa. Allowing yourself to reach equilibrium is necessary. Once you are balanced, you have more positive physical and mental energy, knowledge, time, and ideas to invest in yourself.
You can reach optimal levels of balance by nourishing your sacred body temple in healthy ways, engaging in calming, meditative activities, or performing activities that will increase endorphin levels.
- Meditate – Use guided meditation at home, and if you’ve already established your own method, get back to it!
- Yoga – Yoga is pretty popular. Find a studio to attend, or go online to watch some instructive videos.
- Create your Own Mantra – Figure out your motto and say it often. Let it serve as a reminder of who are you and where you’re going. For instance, “I am beautiful/handsome. I am strong. I am worthy.” Say it to yourself every morning at least 10 times in a row.
- Give Back – Do some community service. Sometimes giving back reminds us of our own blessings and adds light to our souls. The greatest part is you may change someone’s life.
- Eat Well – Skip the drive-thru and head to the grocery store or farmers’ market. Be cognizant of your eating habits. Choose the healthiest, organic foods because what you put into your body dictates how you feel, look, and move throughout the day. Fill up with the right kind of fuel to takeover the world!
- Get Groomed – Now that we’ve taken care of the inside, it’s time to take care of the outside. Get a manicure, pedicure, facial, haircut, full body scrub, and wear the most flattering outfit in your closet. When you look good, you feel good.
- Workout – Get that heart rate up! Seriously, I know this is a tough one for a lot of people. I struggle with it myself. I literally have to say to myself, “Get up now and go to the gym!” Once I get there, I am glad I made the effort. I always feel great after a workout because the brain releases endorphins, a chemical that triggers a positive feeling in the body, similar to that of morphine. You’ll feel great, too! Plus, you’re burning calories and keeping those arteries clear of plaque buildup.
- Choose Happiness – Sometimes making this choice is easier said than done, but it’s imperative that you try. Happiness is a positive emotional state, and it is proven that happy people are more successful.
6. Performance Review
Decide how frequently you want to review yourself. It may be once a week, once a month, or every three months. Ask yourself if there are areas you need to improve in. Have you accomplished any goals? If yes, what are the factors that made you successful? If not, evaluate why. Solicit feedback from loved ones. Sometimes you’ll get a different but valuable perspective from someone’s who’s on the outside looking in. Don’t be too hard on yourself. If you did well in some areas, give yourself credit. If you made any mistakes, learn from them. Remember, you’re a work in progress, just like the rest of us.
It all starts with you. No one will invest in you until you invest in yourself. The extent to which you invest in yourself not only shapes your future, but builds a stronger mind and body, giving you the agility to flourish and perform optimally. That’s why it’s crucial to check yourself and your progress. When you invest and become the best version of yourself, the law of attraction will bring endless possibilities to your life!
How have you invested in yourself this week, month, or year? I would love to hear from you!